Above the Norm Wine Tasting Series

What an “A.S. Kiken” Wine Tasting!

To start with I want to give a huge thank you to Norm Kiken for an amazing wine tasting last week. We all had an amazing time, learned a lot, and were lucky enough to taste some incredible wines.

The evening started with a quick powerpoint about the process of making wine and about Reverie. I thought this was a perfect way to start off the tasting; I was about to try 7 different wines, and knowing more about all the work that went in to specifically making these wines made trying them even more special.

After, it was time to start trying the different wines placed in front of me. Unexpectedly the first wine we were told to try was a glass of White Zinfandal produced by Franzia, the wine the comes from a box. The only way I can describe the taste of this wine is that it reminded me of drinking a liquid form sweet jolly rancher. Not a good experience I can tell you that much. The point was to show the difference between that wine and the wines we were going to have the rest of the evening, and to say the least, I found it very easy to tell the differences.

The wines that followed were a Sauvignon Blanc produced by Pine Ridge, a Chardonnay, a bottle of Tempranillo produced by Reverie, a Merlot produced by Kendall Jackson, then a bottle of a red blend named A.S. Kiken (also known as “*ss kickin'” wine, hence the title of this post), a bottle of Cabernet Franc, and finally a Cabernet Sauvignon also produced by Reverie. During the tasting Mr. Kiken said that the Cabernet Franc is the best Cabernet Franc you will ever taste, and I most certainly agree with him. I am in no way saying that I didn’t like the other wines, my experience was quite the opposite, but the Cabernet Franc was still my favorite wine of the evening. Unfortunately, you cannot get that bottle or any of his wines in Pennsylvania. I guess I’ll have to take a trip to Napa Valley instead to get a bottle, won’t that be a shame…

I thought the evening went really well and was so pleased to see so many students and faculty at the event. Many people asked excellent questions about Mr. Kiken’s own wine making experience and about wine in general. I was very happy that so many people took an interest in wine and learning more about it. I hope all of you also try to attend the last wine tasting on May 2!

So, those were my impressions of the evening,and I am very much looking forward to my future trip to Napa to see Reverie in person! Have any of you been to Reverie? What did you think of the evening? Which were you favorite wines?